- Mainstreaming “Animal Personhood”: Perhaps it goes back to the complacency I referenced at the beginning of this essay, a belief that the unique value of human life is so obvious that it requires no defense. If so, that is a potentially catastrophic philosophical Maginot Line. Unless those who understand the importance of human exceptionalism engage in continual and vigorous pushback, we shouldn’t be surprised if a court one day declares that a chimpanzee or a whale is entitled to legal personhood and equal rights. (First Things)
- Hollywood’s problems portraying religion go way beyond Islam and Muslims: But if Hollywood has trouble telling stories about Muslims in other contexts, that’s in part because the entertainment industry isn’t very good at talking about the daily practice of religion, no matter what a character’s faith is. (Washington Post)
- Five Reasons You Should Do Most of Your Sermon Preparation on Monday: Lately, I’ve been hearing many pastors talk about the importance of doing most of their sermon preparation on Monday. To be sure, this approach does not apply to all pastors, but I thought it would be helpful to learn why many of them value Monday as their key day for sermon preparation. Here are five key reasons. (Thom Rainer)
- Wheaton College, Larycia Hawkins to ‘Part Ways’: Two weeks ago, faculty leaders unanimously asked Wheaton College to drop its attempt to fire tenured professor Larycia Hawkins over whether her views on Islam fit the school’s faith statement. Today, the provost of the college told faculty that he agreed. Moments later, the college announced “a confidential agreement under which they will part ways.” (Christianity Today)
Just for Fun
- Here Are the 15 Best Super Bowl Commercials of 2016. Come on, Puppymonkeybaby deserved to make the list.