Accidental Worship Heresies

mistake (200x300)aYou know that moment when the words leave your mouth and there’s nothing you can do to get them back? You’re not alone.

In a post over at The Village Church, Michael Bleeker shares what happened when he asked worship leaders to tweet stories of their “accidental worship heresies,” things they’ve either said or sang in a worship service that didn’t exactly come out the way they intended. And it’s an impressive list.

Among my personal favorites:

• Misquoted Col. 3:16 as, “psalms, hymns and spiritual thongs” while officiating one of my best friend’s wedding. (I don’t even want to think about what a “spiritual thong” would be.)
  • “I thy great father and thou my true son,” during Be Thou My Vision. (For some reason, I don’t think the church has ever officially declared it a heresy to claim to be God’s father.)
  • “I’d rather have silver than Jesus or gold.” (Now that’s just silly. Who would rather have silver than gold?)
  • I once prayed for God to give a guy “aides.” When you say that word out loud, no one pays attention to the letter E. (The silent E strikes again.)

But some of them seemed unfortunately apropos :

• I sang, “I see a generation rising up to take their place with selfish faith.”
  • I once asked a congregation to “Stand and worship us,” rather than “Stand and worship with us.”
  • “Lord, align Your will with ours.”
  • “Not because of what You’ve done, but because of who I am.” (And I have to admit that I’ve made this mistake myself.)

And although this last one seems a bit hard to believe, I still enjoyed the creativity:

“He is jealous for me, floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee.”

Check out the post for the rest. It’s worth it.

Comments

comments

11 Responses to “Accidental Worship Heresies”

1. Dwight Gingrich September 18, 2013 at 8:28 am #

I’ve caught myself singing: “My Jesus, I love thee, I know Thou art mine / For ME all the follies of sin I resign.”

• Marc Cortez September 18, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Well, I suppose it is to your benefit if you resign from the follies of sin.

2. Irina September 18, 2013 at 9:50 am #

I would rather have silver than gold, in fact. It’s much prettier. Jesus, on the other hand, is in a completely different category.

• Marc Cortez September 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

I’m not much for jewelry, so I’d probably just want to know how much I could sell it for. But you’re right that silver is prettier.

3. Jeremy September 18, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

At a marriage conference: “God’s design is that sexual intimacy is exclusively reserved for the private enjoyment of two married couples.”

4. Rick September 18, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

I’ve made several mistakes while speaking in sermons. What is troubling is that I often don’t notice them until I hear the recorded sermon again. Recently, in a sermon I said, “Jesus saves sin.” I wonder what I would have thought if I was listening to that in the congregation? I never even noticed it during the sermon.

• Marc Cortez September 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

That would definitely have gotten my attention.

5. Carmen Bryant September 19, 2013 at 2:20 am #

These kinds of mistakes multiply when using a second language. One common missionary mistake in Indonesia was adding an “s” to the phrase “Mari kita berdoa” (Let us pray) so that it became “Mari kita berdosa” (let us sin).

6. Marc Cortez September 19, 2013 at 5:45 am #

Spanish has a similar challenge with pecado (sin) and pescado (fish). I was on a mission trip once when one of our translators announced that “Jesus Christ died for your fish.” Oddly, people seemed a bit confused by this.

7. Seth September 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

In the song “Word of God Speak,” part of verse 1 goes:

The last thing I need is to be heard
    But to hear what You would say

and part of verse 2 goes:

All that I need is to be with You
    And in the quiet hear Your voice

I sang: “The last thing I need is to be with you / and in the quiet hear your voice.” Akk!!!