- The Early Church and Military Service: The main question is not whether the theologians permit military service. This much is clear. They condemn it. The question, though, is why? On what grounds are Christians forbidden to join the military?
- Lifetime of Reading Slows Cognitive Decline: New research finds mentally challenging activities build up cognitive reserves, providing protection against the effects of common old-age neurological disorders.
- What We Can Expect From The Next Decade Of Technology: Technology tends to run in cycles. Microsoft ruled the 90’s by building essential software for enterprises. Then Apple created a new device driven marketplace in which the consumer was king. What will drive the next decade?
- The Importance of Rejection in Academic Careers: Rejections are a dirty secret among academics. Publication successes are cause for celebration, or at least a proud listing on C.V.s and departmental lists. Failures — rejected papers and unsuccessful grant and promotion applications — are usually hidden and sometimes a source of shame. The result is that many scholars, especially junior ones, have unrealistic expectations.
- I’m sure you’ve always wanted a resource for finding the best hamburgers in all 50 states. So here’s an interactive map showing the United States of Burgers.
- Forbes magazine has put together a list of the 15 wealthiest fictional characters.
Just for Fun
- If you want to catch up on the summer’s biggest hits, here’s SummerMash ’13. Before you view, two warnings: (1) music videos are really weird and (2) some of the videos included get a tad risqué in places.