The Week has produced a helpful compilation of survey results from 2012, providing a rather interesting snapshot of American perspectives on “key” issues.
Among the more interesting results:
- “Given the choice, 21% would rather give up sex than their cellphones.”
- “42% of Americans said the country was heading in the “right direction,” the highest number in almost three years” but “57% think America is on the decline as a civilization” and “31% say the challenges facing the country are so serious that America might not be able to overcome them.
- “We’re increasingly gay-friendly. 53% approve of same-sex marriage, an all-time high; 61% say gay and lesbian couples should be allowed to adopt children, and 91% of gays and lesbians report that their communities have become more accepting of their sexuality in recent years.”
- “58% support the legalization of marijuana”
- “12% of Americans also believed the Mayan apocalypse would end the world on Dec. 21 (Ipsos/Reuters). If the apocalypse did occur, 17% of men said they’d like to spend their final moments with Jennifer Aniston, while 23% of women would take comfort in the arms of George Clooney.”
Read the rest of the article for more interesting, and often worrisome, stats about American life.