- Five Key Concepts in the Reformation Understanding of Justification: The chief concern for Luther and the other reformers was the doctrine of justification. It was, to use Calvin’s language, the main hinge on which religion turns.” And the doctrine of justification is no less important today than it was 500 years ago.
- 9.5 Theses on Martin Luther Against the Self-Indulgences of the Modern Church: So, in honour of the good Doctor and in the cause of saving him from the domesticated historiography of the Beautiful Young Things, here are a series of theses about the Wittenberger, the cumulative force of which is to prove that in today’s evangelical world he would have made a most excellent taxi driver.
- A Zombie Is a Slave Forever: Most people think of them as the walking dead, a being without a soul or someone with no free will. This is true. But the zombie is not an alien enemy who’s been CGI-ed by Hollywood. He is a New World phenomenon that arose from the mixture of old African religious beliefs and the pain of slavery, especially the notoriously merciless and coldblooded slavery of French-run, pre-independence Haiti. In Africa, a dying person’s soul might be stolen and stoppered up in a ritual bottle for later use. But the full-blown zombie was a very logical offspring of New World slavery.
- Halloween and Evangelical Identity: An Emerging Church evangelical is a fundamentalist who has no kids, but who dresses up for Halloween anyway.
- Kindle Deal: Michael Horton’s Union with Christ for only $0.99.
- If you haven’t heard, Disney just bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion and acquired the rights to the Star Wars franchise. Now everyone’s excited about possible storylines for a new Star Wars movie, even as they are looking forward to the prospect of being disappointed in Star Wars all over again.