What Have You Been Reading Lately?

little child reading a bookI always have a stack of books waiting to be read. To be completely honest, it’s usually several stacks. But sometimes I still have a hard time finding something that I want to read. I know I should read something from the stack. But I don’t want to.

So I’d like to hear what you’ve been reading and what you think about it.  Maybe I’ll get lucky and stumble on something that sounds good.

To keep it simple, here’s what I’d like you to do. Just list the last three books. And, after each, indicate if you liked it (yes, no, kind of). You can make an additional comment if you want, but you don’t need to.

I’ll start things off:

1. The Liberating Image: The Imago Dei in Genesis 1 - yes
  2. Psychology and Christianity: Five Views – kind of (the “5 views” books can get tedious)
  3. Shadowheart - not really (the last book in a series that should have been much shorter)

What have you been reading lately?

Comments

comments

6 Responses to “What Have You Been Reading Lately?”

1. Adam Nigh September 23, 2012 at 9:44 am #

1. Barth and Rationality: Critical Realism in Theology by D. Paul La Montagne (Princeton dissertation) – Uh, don’t know yet.

2. The Juvenilization of American Christianity by Thomas Bergler – Its a bit tedious, but that is because it is historically almost too meticulously researched. The case he makes, though, is balanced and very helpful. The more compact version of it he wrote as a cover story for American Christianity recently might be enough though.

3. Sacred Word, Broken Word: Biblical Authority and the Dark Side of Scripture by Kenton Sparks – not so much.

2. Timothy Callicutt September 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

1. The Groaning of Creation: God, Evolution, and the Problem of Evil – yes, an interesting discussion on forming an evolutionary theodicy while focusing on the suffering of non-human animals.

2. Heaven’s My Destination – yes, Thornton Wilder is by far my favorite author and this was the last work that I hadn’t read by him so I’m probably a bit biased.

3. Swamplandia! – kind of, although I always enjoyed the quirkiness of the characters and setting, I didn’t really get into the plot until over halfway through the book. After that, though, I couldn’t put it down.

3. tory September 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Center Church by Tim Keller – yes, but it feels like a textbook!

Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible (edited by W. Grudem) I like it but it is basic and is currently required reading for church staff. Good but it is small and more of a “jumping off” book.

Jesus: a Theography by Len Sweet and Frank Viola – Just started it but I am enjoying it so far.

4. Paul Bruggink September 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

1. Among the Creationists: Dispatches from the Anti-Evolutionist Front Line, by Jason Rosenhouse – yes. I appreciated his remarkable honesty in describing his current religious beliefs or lack thereof, in the course of his discussion of the results of his unique hobby: a Jewish atheist who spent ten years attending Christian creationist conferences.

2. How God Acts: Creation, Redemption, and Special Divine Action, by Denis Edwards – yes. An up-to-date survey of ways to think about divine action in the context of modern science.

3. The Bible and the Believer: How to Read the Bible Critically & Religiously, by Marc Zvi Brettler, Peter Enns & Daniel J. Harrington, S.J. – yes. Done in the format of a 3/4/5 views book, but definitely not tedious. The three authors (Jewish, Protestant, & Roman Catholic biblical scholars) present a description their faith’s views of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament in a 30- to 40-page essay, followed by brief comments by the other two scholars. The similarities and differences are interesting.

5. Matt Mikalatos September 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

“American Born Chinese” by Gene Yang. This was a really great graphic novel that I somehow missed when it came out. Also, a fascinating exercise in part of it where Gene retells the great Chinese epic “Journey to the West” as a Christian tale. I enjoyed it a lot.

“Clean” by Alex Hughes was a lot of fun. Described as “Chinatown meets Blade Runner” and overall that’s not too far off. It’s a crime novel set in the future and the main character is a down-on-his-luck telepath who works for the cops trying to catch a telepathic serial killer.

Right now I’m in the middle of “On the Rez” by Ian Frazier, which is super enjoyable so far. Great research, beautiful writing, unexpected insights into the life and culture of Native people in the U.S.

6. PGR September 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

The Great Partnership – Jonathan Sacks, Yes
    Stumptown (series 1)- Greg Rucka, Yes
    The Assurance of Faith – Randall Zachman, Yes (so far, anyway)