- Christian Leaders Are Powerhouses on Twitter (NYT): Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado and Andy Stanley were not well known inside Twitter’s offices. But they had all built loyal ranks of followers well beyond their social networks — they were evangelical Christian leaders whose inspirational messages of God’s love perform about 30 times as well as Twitter messages from pop culture powerhouses like Lady Gaga.
- Ten Reasons to Attend Seminary: Let’s face it, to develop theologically as a minister you need time, and that’s what seminary does. In sociological terms, seminary can be a time of encapsulation: you are isolated from your work, your church, and you are holed up in a class with other students and a professor, and you wander into quiet libraries and you study — it is that dedicated time that seminaries can offer. Most pastors aren’t afforded the luxury to study in big chunks of time, so going to seminary, even if it is as a commuter, offers dedicated time. It probably won’t happen without dedicated time.
- Faith, Science, and the Resurrection: Did the cosmos prior to the Fall also function entirely differently than the cosmos we now experience? Was the Fall, in keeping with our metaphor, the restructuring of the cosmos from a diamond into a lump of graphite? Do we inhabit the same universe created by God in the beginning, but now utterly transformed in quality and behavior?
- 6 Myths of Success: I grew up in a performance-centered community. I was affirmed and valued at the level of my performance. The better I performed, the more others loved me. I worked hard at athletics to be of some value to someone—to anyone. I worked hard in ministry for the same reason. My parents are hard workers. My dad is 82 and still employed. I asked him why he didn’t just quit since he didn’t need the money. He said, in his gruff voice, “A man isn’t worth anything if he doesn’t work.” That illuminated a lot of my own proclivities for me.
- Free Kindle download: Terence Nichols’ Death and Afterlife: A Theological Introduction (Brazos, 2010)
Just for Fun
- Here are the 10 Weirdest Ways That Ancient Rulers Died