- Reclaiming Jesus’ Sense of Humor: The Bible clearly paints a picture of Jesus of Nazareth as a clever guy, but he never seems to laugh, much less crack a smile. Did Jesus really have no sense of humor; didn’t he ever laugh?
- 3 Reasons I Manuscript: While I’m fully aware that different preachers require different types of notes, I also believe that every preacher should cut their teeth on the discipline of some form of manuscript. I believe this for the same reason I believe guitar players should learn to play an acoustic prior to an electric: It helps you cultivate healthy habits.
- Jesus and the Goodness of Everything Human: The great Swiss theologian Karl Barth, fittingly called the “church father” of the 20th century, put it this way: “As the man Jesus is himself the revealing Word of God, he is the source of our knowledge of the nature of man as created by God.”
- How Do You Discern the Conversion of a Child?: There are commonly 2 extremes as we all wrestle with this question. The first is the careless lack of discernment of many churches who have an alter call for 4-5 year olds, ask them to raise their hand if they love Jesus, then baptize them as converted followers of Jesus. The other extreme often results from the carelessness of the first.
- And, here’s an interesting sounding lecture on Reading as a Spiritual Exercise.
Just for Fun
- People have all kinds of different talents. But this girl’s talent is the ability to say any word backwards in 3 seconds or less (usually less). It’s rather impressive.