Forced Choices: Lewis or Tolkien

Last week’s Forced Choice was surprisingly close. I expected the New Testament to get more votes (56%), but I was glad to see that the Old Testament got plenty of love as well (44%). This week, we’re pitting two famous Christian authors against one another: C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien. If you can’t remember from last week, there really aren’t any rules or guidelines. Just pick the one you like best for whatever reason you think appropriate. If you want to tell us that reason in the comments, great. But you don’t have to.

So, what do you think?

Comments

comments

12 Responses to “Forced Choices: Lewis or Tolkien”

1. Matt Mikalatos (@mattmikalatos) September 10, 2011 at 8:01 am #

I would guess a lot of people translate this to “Narnia vs. Middle Earth” without even realizing it. In which case I would choose Middle Earth. But if we’re looking at all their work as a whole, I’d take Lewis.

• Marc Cortez September 10, 2011 at 8:36 am #

So, did you pick one? l’m intentionally not providing any criteria. So it’s entirely up to you whether you compare their whole corpus or just their fiction writings.

2. Brian LePort September 10, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Lewis, because I’ve read the fiction of neither, but I was shaped a lot by books like Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain.

• Marc Cortez September 10, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Okay, that’s just tragic. I don’t even think they’re going to let you into heaven now.

3. WTM September 10, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Tolkien, not even a question.

4. Mark Cole September 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Tolkien vs Lewis? ….that’s like asking which color is better, green or blue, both are exquisite and different.

5. the3inone September 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

I am amazed how many have chosen Tolkien, it blows my mind. I would have expected Lewis to win by a landslide. I choose Lewis.

• Marc Cortez September 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Never underestimate the power of a hobbit.

6. crculbertson September 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

Lewis … Pilgrims Regress, Til We Have Faces, Out of the Silent Planet, Miracles … etc. etc. etc. Every one a must read…

• Marc Cortez September 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Yeah, but Tolkien wrote the Silmarillion…oh, never mind. :-)

1. Elsewhere (09.12.2011) | Near Emmaus - September 12, 2011

[...] – Marc Cortez asks you to chose between C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein. [...]

2. Forced Choices: the Gospels « scientia et sapientia - September 17, 2011

[...] week’s forced choice pit J. R. R. Tolkien against C. S. Lewis. And, although Tolkien led big at the beginning, Lewis slowly caught up, before pulling ahead for [...]