Since I’m at Disneyland this week, today’s picture seemed fitting. That also explains why I’m publishing Flotsam and Jetsam later in the day than normal. We’ve been heading back to the hotel room for lunch/naps, and that gives me a chance to get caught up on stuff. Enjoy the links!
- iMonk discusses the role of church history in ministry and theology.
What part does the teaching and understanding of church history have in your tradition and in your local parish or church ministry? How well versed would you say your congregation is in the history of the church? What suggestions would you have, from your experience, on helping believers know more about our past and traditions?
- Joe Thorn reflects on 7 Characteristics of an Ingrown Church
Many ingrown churches become egocentric out of fear of extinction, and wind up focusing on one aspect of their church culture that makes them unique. This allows them to feel good about themselves while finding fault with other churches in the area who do not measure up.
- Travis McMaken offers some concise answers to the questions What is theology? Who is a theologian? Why should theology persist?
theology both should and will persist so long as the body of Christ finds itself tasked with the proclamation of the Gospel. Given that this proclamation is the church’s raison d’être, theology will persist as long as does the church.
- This month’s free audio book from ChristianAudio is The Millennials by Thom and Jess Rainer.
- Scott Williams presents 7 Reasons Christians Should Twitter
- Here are the Top 20 Brands on Facebook. This big surprise for me toward the top of the list: Oreo.
- And, here’s a photo gallery of the 10 Biggest Movie Flops of 2011 (So Far)