In honor of Jonathan Edwards week, today’s Flotsam and Jetsam has been replaced by a variety of links related to Edwards’ life and ministry. If you know of any good posts that I’ve missed, please let us know is the comments. (By the way, the picture has nothing to do with this post; I just liked it.)
Given the recent Rob Bell brouhaha, it’s no surprise that several authors looked at Jonathan Edwards’ view of heaven and hell. Sam Storms devoted a four-part series to the topic (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4). Justin Taylor and Wes Pastor both comment on “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” and reflect on the challenges of preaching about hell. And, Kevin DeYoung comments on Edwards’ sermon, “Heaven as a World of Love.” And, for further reading Justin Taylor offers a number of links to other discussions of Edwards views on the afterlife.
At the same time, Paul Helm has been working his way through a fascinating series on Jonathan Edwards. Sean Lucas chimed in at one point with a helpful correct, to which Helm offered his own response. Here are the relevant posts.
- Paul Helm, “Jonathan Edwards: Some Circumstantial Evidence.”
- Paul Helm, “Edwards and the Freedom of the Will.”
- Paul Helm, “Religious Affections: Jonathan Edwards’s Strategy.”
- Paul Helm, “Edwards on True Religion.”
- Paul Helm, “God and the Limits of Explanation.”
- Sean Lucas, “What Was Jonathan Edwards Really Saying?“
- Paul Helm, “Dr. Sean Lucas’s Friendly Correction.”
- Paul Helm, “Distinctions and Divisions.”
- Paul Helm, “Edwards and Locke on Emotion.”
Several other posts addressed other aspects of Edwards’s life and ministry. Ray Ortlund looks at Edwards’s revival writings in two posts: “How to Know What a Real Revival Looks Like” and “How to Pray for a Revival,” while Aaron Armstrong focuses on Edwards’s view that God’s glory is the conjunction of all God’s excellencies.
Update: Dane Ortlund also reflects on Edwards’s account of Sara Edwards’s renewal experience.
And, returning to the theme from the beginning of this post, here’s an interview with Owen Strachan about his book Jonathan Edwards on Heaven and Hell.
ARVE Error: id and provider shortcodes attributes are mandatory for old shortcodes. It is recommended to switch to new shortcodes that need only url