- David Bently Hart discusses John Paul II’s Theology of the Body in contrast to the materialistic nihilism so often on display today.
To one who holds to John Paul’s Christian understanding of the body, and so believes that each human being, from the very first moment of existence, emerges from and is called towards eternity, there are no negotiable or even very perplexing issues regarding our moral obligations before the mystery of life.
- D. A. Carson discusses church discipline, Matthew 18, and criticizing fellow Christians in public. (HT Bryan Lilly via Twitter)
What a hypocrite I was—criticizing my brothers on ostensible biblical grounds when I myself was not following the Bible’s mandate to observe a certain procedure nicely laid out in Matt 18:15–17.
- Lifehacker discusses The Cognitive Cost of Doing Things.
There’s no such thing as a free lunch, and that goes for your brain, too. Every time you amass the willpower to do anything, it has mental costs. Writer and strategist Sebastian Marshall identifies a few of those cognitive costs to understand how to get more done while conserving as much of your mental reserve as possible.
none of this will make sense to someone who has not experienced and received and tasted the joy of the forgiveness of God in Christ Jesus. If we do not forgive as the Scriptures command, perhaps the problem is with our ignorance of what God has done for us in Christ. That is why the key to forgiveness is the cross.
- Some may be surprised to hear that biological warfare has been around for a while: Biological Warfare in the American Revolution?
- Koinonian is giving away a copy of Kevin Vanhoozer’s Is There a Meaning in This Text?
- Mason Slater points out a couple of good Kindle deals: The Wisdom of Stability and The Orthodox Heretic can both be had for $.99.
- If you really want to listen to Aquinas’ Summa Theologica while you’re exercising or driving around town, here’s the free audio. (HT @GodRocket)
- The Atlantic speaks with Jessica Dovey — the English teacher behind the fake MLK quote.
- If you haven’t heard yet, Glee is getting its own live 3D movie.
- And, here’s the best IQ test ever.