I came to the realization this morning that I’m a New Year’s Grinch. I don’t really like New Year’s that much. It’s not that I mind having some time home with the family – I like that part – but I think it’s seriously overrated as major holidays go.
So, I thought I’d offer my Grinch-list of reasons I’m not a big fan of New Year’s.
- Coming right after Christmas, I’m all partied out long before New Year’s gets here.
- I’m not a late-night person, so staying up until midnight to watch some shiny ball drop on TV holds no appeal.
- I’m not a late-night person, to the fireworks my neighbors insist on lighting off all evening are very annoying.
- The football on New Year’s Day is never as good as you hope it will be.
- New Year’s resolutions can be very annoying.
- It’s not much of a “holiday” because I’m usually prepping for next semester already.
- Having almost always been either a student or a teacher, the real “new year” for my family begins on September 1 anyway.
- January 1 really just marks the date on which I have to stop struggling to remember that it’s 2010 and start struggling to remember that it’s 2011.
Nonetheless, I thought I’d set aside my Grinchness long enough to wish everyone a happy new year. Thanks for a lot of good comments and posts over the last year. It’s been a lot of fun, and I’m looking forward to seeing the next twelve months have to offer.
I would list my New Year’s resolutions, but as I said above, I don’t really like them very much. I’ve always thought that if there’s something you should be resolved to do, why wait until Jan 1? But, what about you? Did you make any resolutions for the upcoming year? If so, feel free to share them and we promise not to make fun of you too much.