Now that Lost, 24, and Scrubs are done (all three went on longer than they should), I’m in the market for some new TV shows to follow. Currently, I just have two fairly escapist shows that I follow with some regularity (Chuck and NCIS). I’m also working through Battlestar Gallactica (fabulous show). I’m looking for another show or two of substance to add to my list. So, I’m wondering what you think are the best recent TV shows?
Brian LePort recently helped out by commenting on “Five TV Shows I Enjoy.” (He went with House, Ugly Betty, Mad Men, The Wire, and Rome.) And, Mark Stevens followed up with his own list (West Wing, Glee, Scrubs, NCIS, and Bones). Based on these suggestions and some others that I’ve gotten from people, here are the shows that I’m considering.
- Glee. I’ve seen a couple of episodes, but I’ve heard enough good things about it that I think I’ll get the first season from Netflix and start from the beginning.
- The Wire. This one has been on my list of shows to watch for quite a while, but I never feel like I have the time or emotional energy to invest in it properly.
- Mad Men. I’ve actually seen most of the first season, but I was never able to get into this one. I think I had too much going on at the time and couldn’t just sit and watch it.
- Friday Night Lights. I really liked this one when it first came out, but I gave up on it in the second season. I’ve heard that it’s gotten a lot better since then and might be worth following again.
- Dexter. I’d have to catch up on this one through Netflix, which is fine, and I’ve heard good things about it if you like your shows on the dark side (I do).
- Modern Family. I don’t know if this meets the “substance” requirement, but several people I know well recommend this one highly.
So, what do you think? Do you watch (or have you watched) any of these shows and can offer some advice? If you had to pick one from this list, which one would you go with? Are there any others that you would recommend?